Attention deficit disorder has an effect on nearly everyone in our country. From children themselves who are shown off the chart on ADD assessments to parents who are trying to navigate what can be some very challenging days to the teachers and students in classrooms, there are many considerations when it comes to dealing with this condition. Interestingly enough, there are a number of ways that ADD assessments can help direct the interventions that might help the most.
Although many people think that learning challenges like ADD, dyslexia, and autism have their biggest implications kindergarten through 12th grade classrooms, the reality is quite different.
Testing Accommodations Are Based on Documented Learning Challenges
If you are a soon to be college graduate who is considering law school or medical school, it may be important for you to self report your learning challenges if you want to have access to the accommodations that can help you be more successful. From longer testing times to independent testing areas, there are several MCAT accommodations and LSAT accommodations that are available.
Consider some of these facts and figures about the challenges that some learners face and the accommodations that may be available to them:
- The average age of diagnosis for children with moderate ADHD is seven years.
- As proof that dyslexia is not tied to IQ, it is important to note that Einstein was dyslexic and had an estimated IQ of 160.
- One in 45 children, ages three through 17, have been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder (ASD), according to a government survey of parents.
- The latest research indicates that boys are three times more likely to be diagnosed with autism than girls.
- Although there are variances, autism spectrum disorder symptoms are typically recognized by age two.
- With implications that last far beyond childhood, adults with ADD are three times more likely to suffer depression, stress, or other emotional problems that may cause them to miss work.
Finally getting the help that your students needs when it comes to learning situations is an important part of helping to make sure that your student finds the most success. To get this help, however, you need to make sure that you get the necessary testing to find out what learning challenges your child may be facing, as well as the accommodations that might be helpful.