Like many things in life, maintenance is an important part of CPAP machine effectiveness. In fact, cleaning a CPAP machine can help you get the best results and avoid problems.
As many as 18 million Americans suffer from sleep apnea, so it should come as no surprise that many companies offer CPAP machines and various kinds of CPAP masks and other accessories. None of this equipment, however, will be very effective if they are not well cared for. In fact, cleaning a CPAP machine is an essential part of any kind of successful sleep apnea treatment plan.
Finding a Solution for Your Sleep Apnea Is Important to Your Health
The reason to make sure that you find a sleep apnea treatment and that you make sure any of your purchased CPAP machine purchases are clean is that this condition is a major health concern if it is left untreated. Among some of the major concerns, people with an untreated case of sleep apnea face a risk of stroke that is four times as great as those who are not afflicted with sleep apnea. Additionally, untreated sleep apnea sufferers are three times as likely to have heart disease as those without sleep apnea.
Consider some of these other facts about the sleep apnea condition, available treatments, and the health implications that effect those who suffer from this condition:
- An obstructive sleep apnea sufferer may experience 60 apneas an hour during an average night?s sleep.
- Patients over the age of 60 are five times more likely to require heated humidification for CPAP machines.
- Asthma patients face nearly a 40% greater risk for sleep apnea than asthma-free participants who participated in a study.
- 80% of patients who say they use their CPAP machine, also indicate that they do not use it enough to keep them safe.
- Sleep apnea is almost twice as common in men as it is in women.
- 38,000 deaths occur on an annual basis that relate to cardiovascular problems that in one way or another are connected to sleep apnea, according to the National Commission on Sleep Disorders Research.
As the holidays arrive and many Americans are now cleaning and organizing their homes for guests of family and friends, sleep apnea sufferers need to make sure that their CPAP machines and supplies are also clean.
Read more here.