Urinary incontinence is a very common problem. The chances increase as we age that we will suffer from this problem. The percentage of people jumps from 14% in people who are between the ages of 65 and 69 to 45% for people who are 85 or older. This is one reason washable mattress protectors are popular for older adults.
There are a number of reasons people suffer from urinary incontinence. As embarrassing as many people find this to be, it is normal. Here are some of the causes of this problem:
- You may be suffering from a urinary tract infection. These can be very irritating to the bladder. They may increase your urge to pee but they can also lead to urinary incontinence.
- If you give birth, that can lead to it. Carrying a baby puts a lot of stress on your muscles, nerves and ligaments. This can weaken the area and lead to incontinence.
- Menopause can bring it on. When a women’s estrogen levels drop, this can lead to overactive bladder and stress incontinence. The hormone estrogen is important for the pelvic muscles, urethra and bladder.
- Having a hysterectomy can cause incontinence. The ligaments and muscles that work with the bladder can often be damaged during this kind of operation.
- Men with prostate issues may suffer more from incontinence. If you have had surgery on your prostate or have an enlarged prostate, you may find yourself dealing with this issue.
- If you smoke, you are at a greater risk for incontinence. The research on why this happens is not clear but smokers have more issues with incontinence than non-smokers
- Losing weight can help with incontinence. When you are overweight, the extra pounds you are carrying around put a lot of weight on your bladder. This can cause leaking to occur.
- Medications can cause it. If you take a medication for depression, to help with sleep or diuretics, you can have more issues with incontinence. If you are concerned about this issue, you should talk to your healthcare provider about the issue and what your other treatment options may be.
- There are also medical issues that can lead to incontinence. If you have any damage to your muscles or nerves from something such as diabetic care, Multiple Sclerosis or Parkinson’s Disease, you may have more problems. For some people anxiety can cause urinary incontinence.
The good news is that there are things you can do to prevent or cope with incontinence. This is a real issue for millions of people around the planet and is why you see adult diapers for sale and washable mattress protectors. In addition to talking to your doctor, there are some lifestyle changes that can make a big difference in dealing with this problem.
- Drink more water. This may seen a bit counterintuitive but when you drink less water, you actually go to the bathroom more. Most experts recommend getting between six and eight 8 ounce glasses each day.andnbsp;
- Watch your diet. Beverages such as coffee, tea, alchohol, sodas can make incontinence worse. The same goes for acidic and spicy foods.
- Lose some weight. Being overweight is a problem for people who are concerned about incontinence. You can help yourself by losing some weight. Eating a healthier diet can help with this.
- Quit smoking. This is one of the best things you can do for your body. Preventing urinary incompetence is just one of the health benefits of quitting smoking.
There are products out there that make living with urinary incontinence more manageable. Using washable mattress protectors, leak proof diapers for adults or disposable bed pans can really help for problems you have at night. If the lifestyle changes are not enough to help with your incontinence, there are things your physician can do to help. These options range from medication to nerve stimulation and even surgery. If you are having problems, the best place to start is with your doctor’s office. They may have more options than you realize to help you with your medical issue. Newer washable mattress protectors are more and more useful for an increasingly older population.