There are many different hair colors out there, both natural and artificial, and people are always looking for new ways to change up their look. Changing your hair is a simple, relatively inexpensive, and not permanent. However, of all of the different looks out there, only 2% of the world’s population is born with naturally blonde hair. However, one in three women will dye their hair a shade of blonde at some point in their lifetime. Is it because blondes have more fun? Maybe.
If you’re looking for a new hair color, looking for hair care tips or new hair care products, or just checking out new hairstyle trends, here are some fun facts about blonde hair to help you along your way to the hair salon.
- Hair color is determined by the amount of melanin, or pigmentation is in the hair. There are two types of melanin in hair color: eumelanin and phaeomelanin. the more eumelanin, the darker the hair, and the more phaeomelanin, the redder the hair. Low levels of both of these are characteristic of blonde hair.
- There have been some questionable methods of blonde hair dye throughout history. In ancient Rome, they used pigeon dung, in Renaissance Venice: horse urine.
- Jean Harlow, Hollywood’s first blonde goddess, dyed her hair with peroxide, household bleach, soap flakes, ammonia, and other hair care products, until her hair finally fell out and she had to wear wigs.
- In fairytales, blonde hair often suggests strength, indestructibility, untarnished beauty, youth, and high value. Rapunzel, Rumpelstiltskin, Cinderella, and Goldilocks are well-known stories featuring flaxen-haired heroes.
- Blondes actually have more individual strands of hair on their heads than any other color. Blondes have approximately 140,000 hairs, as compared with 108,000 for darker-haired individuals.
The studies are inconclusive as to whether blondes have more fun, but what is true is that changing up your look and trying a new hairstyle can be a lot of fun. Whether it’s just for the night, or for a few weeks, a few months, or the rest of the year, why not try out some new hair care products, a new hairstyle, or even a new hair color? Don’t get bored and boring with the same old look. You may surprise even yourself by how much you like the new change.